Monday, July 25, 2011

Moms back!

My mom left to go to Sweden to visit her only full sister and brother, a week ago, and came home today. Alhamdulillah she had a great time, but we all missed her a lot, and glad she's back. It was ...interesting to have my dad be the only parent. Normally I would have taken over for my mom, but I got really sick and was in ned for the majority of 4 days, and just felt mostly better today. Instead of going to the airport with my family and uncles, I decided to stay home and make a nice dinner to welcome her back.

My little brother Bawar also stayed behind to blow up balloons, and he ended up helping me a lot. I taught him how to cut potatoes, tomatos, and green beans. Hes going to be my assistant from now on, hopefully he can learn to cook in the next few years, I was just a little older than him when I started.

Green Beans, one of my favorite foods:

Green Biryani with potatoes, pasta, almonds, and rasins:

Chicken with lemon juice and black pepper:

We also got a cake in bazar, it was soooo yummy:

Inside of the cake, there was a layer of almonds, Kurds put em in everything!

2 comments:

  1. I find it really interesting that you all put pasta in your rice. How does that work? Do you boil the rice and the pasta separately or is it done together? I noticed that the color of both the rice and the pasta is different...what kind of pasta was used? Does the yellowish color come from turmeric? And about the cake, and other street foods, are they safe for a foreigner to eat? When I go to Pakistan, my family generally limits the places I can get food from, because sometimes the water and the ingredients that are used may not be fit for our stomachs..Can you drink the tap water there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I boiled the rice and pasta together, I just used regular pasta, put all the spices into the water and let it all boil. The yellowish color does come from turmeric, and I also used this green pre made biryani blend, it was delisshhh. The cake was safe to eat, the desserts all are, but the guz meat is not, it made all my siblings sick lol And no, we dont drink tap water, we've been drinking bottled water, it also only costs less than 25 cents a bottle!

    ReplyDelete