Friday, July 1, 2011

Mini trip to Said Sadiq

Yesterday around 4 pm my family and I departed for the town of Said Sadiq, about an hour and a half's drive from Silemani. My mothers first cousin lives there, along with his wife and their 10 (Mashallah) kids. These are by the way the most well behaved and disciplined kids I have ever seen. The house runs so smoothly and efficiently. The kids range from age 4 to 24 years. One of their daughters, who is 20, is married to the uncle whose home we are mostly staying at.

He is 23, only 3 years older than me. He's one of my favorite people here. He's 23, takes care of his ailing and old father, even though he has 4 older, more established brothers. He married at 22, and works tirelessly every day to provide for his family. He is an amazing Muslim, and is the best husband I have ever seen. He says that whenever he gets paid, for the first ten days he takes his wife out everywhere, all the best shops, all the best restaurants, and buys her whatever she wants, all until his money runs out. Then they live on potatoes and egg's until he gets paid again! They both like the arrangement, and he says he wants to enjoy life before they have kids and have to be responsible. They are best friends, make each other laugh, always joke and play around, and respect each other more than anything. Inshallah Allah S will reward them.

Anyyyywhoooo, here are some things I saw as we drove into Said Sadiq:


This is a military checkpoint, theres one before any big town or city, they check out the car and its occupants, and if theres only one male in the car, they usually ask him to step out to inspect the car and him:



These are homes built for the families of the men lost in the civil war in Kurdistan about a decade ago:

Many old men sell very random things in order to make a living. Most sit on a chair on a corner or street and sell stuff from a cart, like this old man selling peanuts:

When we arrived at my cousins home, we sat out in their garden on persian rugs laid out on the grass, while my cousins wife made us tea in something called a samawar:



My cup of tea!

Sometimes tea is drunk without sugar in it, and is served with homemade sugar cubes that you place in your mouth and drink the tea with:

2 comments:

  1. The sugar looks amazing--I'm dying to try the homemade stuff. It almost looks like it would taste like brown sugar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg it was sooo good, my mom knows how to make it, inshallah she will soon once we get back!

    ReplyDelete