Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kurdish Clothes and Hawar

My family and I spent the past few days in Halabja, visiting various relatives and seeing the sights. People here go on picnics that last all day long, where they grill meat and make tea on an open fire, and pick fruit while relaxing. Often times on these expeditions people wear traditional Kurdish clothes, which are three layers thick. For men, you wear silk or satin undershirt and pants, a sparkly beaded dress over it, and then a sleeveless vest over that. Most include a coined belt made of real gold or silver. My mom sister and I all had an outfit tailored:

We went to a place called Hawar, its a valley village on the order of Iran and Kurdistan, literally one side of the mountain was Kurdistan and one was Iran. The village is one of the only non Muslim area's in the country. We then stopped on top of a mountain to see the views:




This is me in green Kurdish clothes:

My mom and sister in theirs:

The food being cooked at another location, where we had lunch in the forest:

1 comment:

  1. You, Shay and your mom look beautiful, mA!! I love the belts that you guys use for the outfits, SO CHIC. I especially love your moms mA, shes so stylish!!

    ReplyDelete